Vegan Banana Bread
Credit to Nora Cooks
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 large ripe bananas, about 1 cup mashed
- 1/3 cup melted vegan butter OR applesauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour OR all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg, optional but good
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or non-dairy chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a loaf pan.
In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water. Set aside to thicken; this is your “egg”.
In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until smooth. Stir the melted vegan butter (or applesauce) into the bananas.
Now add the brown sugar, almond milk and flax eggs. Mix well to combine.
Add the flour. Sprinkle the baking soda, salt and nutmeg on top of the flour. Stir gently until just combined, making sure you don’t over mix.
Fold in the walnuts or chocolate chips, if using. Pour into the prepared pan, and bake for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let it cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer the loaf to parchment paper or a cooling rack. Slice carefully right away, or let cool completely for easier slicing and serving.
- I don’t usually measure the mashed bananas. I use 2 large ripe bananas or 3 small ones, it doesn’t have to be exact.
- May use white sugar instead of brown if that’s what you have on hand.
- For oil free, use applesauce instead of melted vegan butter. I have tested it and both are very tasty! If you don’t have vegan butter, you can also use canola or coconut oil.
- For gluten free, you could probably use a gluten free flour mix, but I haven’t tested it so I’m not sure it would work. May also use spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour.
- Calories listed are using white whole wheat flour and melted vegan butter. 1 slice using applesauce and white whole wheat flour is approximately 112 calories.