Introducing Veggie Ribz.. Veggie Ribz – Sweet & Smoky BBQ Alright we know what you’re thinking. Vegan ribz?! Ludicrous – what smoke and mirrors have they used to create these? Well actually they’re made with our tempeh – cultured soya beans – and our sweet […]
Credit to From my bowl Ingredients 1 14 oz. block Extra Firm Tofu 1 tbsp Reduced-Sodium Tamari 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast, plus more to taste Instructions First, preheat the oven to 425F. Drain the liquid from the Tofu and “press” the extra liquid out by wrapping it […]
Can’t Believe It’s Not Meat, New Hyde Park Vegan Spot, Has A Plant-Based Version Of Chicken And Mild Sauce
HYDE PARK — Can’t Believe It’s Not Meat, a vegan and vegetarian spot specializing in plant-based comfort food, opened in Hyde Park this weekend.
The restaurant, at 1368-½ E. 53rd St. in Hyde Park, aims to please serious vegans and meat-eaters alike, with burgers, hot dogs and Philly cheesesteaks made with soy and other plant-based proteins.
Owned by his vegetarian sister Laricia Chandler, restaurateur Rico Nance said the focus on American staples could help locals realize that a plant-based diet isn’t so scary.
“We wanted to encourage transitioning into healthy eating by creating healthier versions of your favorite comfort foods and providing knowledge about plant-based alternatives,” Nance said.
Other veggiefied offerings include “chicken” and waffles, lasagna, and a vegan chicken leg with mild sauce, which may remind diners of a certain popular local chain.
The restaurant will also offer shakes, smoothies and homemade lemonade. Prices range from $7-$16.
The restaurant will be open 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, noon-6 p.m. on Fridays with special Saturday hours 6 p.m.-midnight in observation of the Sabbath.
*Editor’s note: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that the restaurant was owned by Rico Nance. Nance’s sister Laricia Chandler is the actual owner of Can’t Believe It’s Not Meat.
Do stories like this matter to you? Subscribe to Block Club Chicago. Every dime we make funds reporting from Chicago’s neighborhoods.
Plant-based gastronomy? Spanish start-up seeks to revolutionize food system with sustainable protein sources
According to Food Ingridients First on 05 Apr 2019 — Spanish-based start-up Foods for Tomorrow is seeking to “revolutionize the food system through plant-based gastronomy.” Currently, the company’s flagship brand Heura, a plant-based protein very similar to chicken in terms of flavor and texture, is […]
Credit to Edison Insitute of Nutrition
Lemon is one of the most popular and versatile citrus fruit. Its popularity is owed to it’s refreshing flavor and scent making it a popular choice for flavoring many recipes and perfumes. Lemon is also widely used in all sorts of drinks from teas and cocktails to juices. Along with its obvious use as a flavor, lemon since long has also been used for its medicinal value. A rich source of vitamin C, lemon possess immense health benefits ranging from its antibacterial and antiviral properties to its immune boosting abilities. One of the most common ways to reap the health benefits of lemon is by juicing it. Lemon juice acts as a digestive and a detoxifying agent and helps in cleaning the liver leading to better digestive health.
Lemon juice is also an effective way to reduce weight as it increases the body’s metabolic rate. For people looking to use lemon for its weight loss abilities, drinking lemon juice with warm water on an empty stomach every morning can produce amazing results. Along with the weight loss benefits, drinking warm lemon water every morning also has numerous other benefits. The nutrition experts at Edison Institute of Nutrition have listed some of the most effective health benefits of drinking lemon juice with warm water every morning.
- As a rich source of vitamin C, lemon juice protects the body from Immune system deficiencies.
- Drinking lemon juice with warm water every morning helps in maintaining the pH balance of the body.
- With its powerful antibacterial properties, lemon juice helps fight infections
- Acts as a detoxifying agent.
- Helps with maintaining digestive health.
- Along with vitamin C, lemons are also a rich source of potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium etc.
- Helps fight common cold
- Lemon water is also a popular remedy for many kinds of skin problems ranging from acne, rashes and wrinkles to dark spots.
- Lemon juice with warm water helps in quick weight loss as it promotes digestion and increases the metabolic rate.
- Lemon juice is also very effective at cleansing the liver as it promotes the liver to flush out toxins
- Lemon’s anti-inflammatory properties help in fighting respiratory tract infections, sore throat and inflammation of tonsils.
- Lemon juice with warm water helps keep the body hydrated as it provides electrolytes to the body.
- Drinking lemon juice with warm water also helps reduce joint and muscle pain.
- Lemon juice with warm water is also good for your dental health as it helps with toothache and prevents gingivitis.
- Lemon juice with warm water helps with digestion and hence, helps regulate natural bowel movement.