Date Night Burst Tomato, Mushroom and Garlic Creamy Pasta
- 1/2 lb Shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, sliced and stems removed
- 1 cup similarly sized grape tomatoes (I love to get a colour assortment)
- 8 ounces Pasta, linguine or tagliatelle
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan, grated
- 3/4 cup Pasta water
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- ½ tablespoon olive oil (the best kind you can get)
- Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup of the pasta water.
- In a pan over medium high heat, heat the vegan butter. Add the garlic, tomatoes and shiitake mushrooms, stirring together. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, until the mushrooms are sautéed down and the tomatoes are looking slightly wilted and ready to burst. Using your spatula or wooden spoon, gently press on each tomato to slightly burst it. Lower the heat to medium low and in the sea salt and the ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the cream cheese, vegan parmesan and ¼ cup of the pasta water. Stir gently but swiftly to combine.
- Add in the pasta, then the rest of the reserved pasta water ¼ cup of the time, stirring to combine and create a creamy sauce. The pasta will soak up most of the water, while thickening the sauce.
- Taste the sauce and add more sea salt or black pepper if desired.
- Turn off the heat, top with basil and drizzle the olive oil over. Serve the pasta with extra vegan parmesan on top. Enjoy!
Credit to Jessica in the kitchen